There are three things I do every spring and fall: rearrange the summer clothes to the front of the closet or to the back depending on the season, change from cotton sheets to flannel or vice versa and clean. Clean? Yes clean. Although everyone has heard of spring cleaning, what about fall cleaning? Actually fall cleaning is spring’s counterpart and is equally as important.
Here are 7 reasons to consider for a big fall clean if you need a little motivation to prepare your home for the upcoming holiday season:
- Spring and summer shuffle lots of dirt inside. If you are anything like me you tend to spend a lot of your time going in and out of your house during the spring and summer months; leaving doors open and watching kids and pets run in and out of the house, allowing for all of the dirt and dust to enter freely. So run for your vacuum and carpet cleaner and suck all of that dirt and dust out of your house before it starts circulating through your heater vents.
- Rearranging clothes is already a necessity. When the weather changes you have to shift your clothes around so that you can access the ones you need to stay warm. Why not go the extra step and clear out the unwanted, unused and unnecessary clothes. Especially in the kids rooms. Also, this is a great time to donate warm clothes for cold months that are right around the corner.
- You moved in a year ago and you still have unpacked boxes lying around. I actually hate to admit this because I have always been the type to literally be moved into a new house and completely unpacked with the appearance that I have lived there for years within the first 48 hours of moving in. But sadly with our current home there has been so much work to do to the actual home that I did not want to unpack just to move and pack and store while we did the work. While this was probably a great decision and has saved me some time, I am beginning to go a little crazy with things undone. So if you are like me, finish all the unpacking, and get your house back on track to looking like a home instead of a storage unit.
- The guests are coming, the guests are coming. The holidays are quickly approaching and soon your home will be filled with family and friends including that one family member who always criticizes you. Beat them to the punch this year and do a thorough clean of your house including the windowsills, ceiling fans and floor boards. Once you get busy and are in the swing of the holidays you will be incredibly grateful you made the time to do your cleaning now.
- It’s time to hibernate. Just kidding, but with it getting darker earlier, you are more likely to be hiding out inside your house. Wouldn’t you rather be curled up in front of the clean fireplace sitting in your favorite clean chair instead of sitting there staring at the dust and dirt surrounding you? So before it gets too dark to see what needs to be done, get your cleaning out of the way. You won’t regret it.
- Save on the power bill. My husband is great at this, with every changing season he goes through our home and changes out the filters which keeps your furnace running more efficiently which saves on your power bill. But this year I got to thinking that in addition to the filters I should go around my home and make sure the other appliances are running to the best of their abilities. In looking around I did notice a few that needed some minor repairs and with that I quickly ordered my replacement parts and now my entire home is running smoothly and saving me money.
- Get a jump on your income taxes. How many times have you said “I will have my taxes done in January” and it’s April 15 when you finally finish them up? Don’t be that way this year. Take the time this fall, while you are cleaning and organizing stuff to get yourself organized and ready for tax season. Just think, by taking the time now you could actually have your taxes done in January.
What are your fall cleaning must dos?